The Challenge Ahead:
The world of entertainment is changing. From ownership to access, from linear to streaming, from physical to digital. The video game industry is set for significant disruption and innovation and Electronic Arts aspires to lead the way. The Strategic Growth Brand team is helping fuel Electronic Arts’ long term strategic bets and growth. We set the pace for EA’s investment in gaming subscriptions, our PC storefront and platform, competitive gaming (including FIFA, Apex Legends, and Madden NFL), as well as new business opportunities, including fantasy sports, blockchain and NFTs, and more.
Competitive Gaming at Electronic Arts:
Over the past 5 years, we have built a competitive gaming business from the ground up to compete with some of the biggest brands in the industry. We’ve delivered over 2k hours of broadcasts, awarded over $20M in prize money, built multiple broadcast studios, and provided new platforms for our players to become stars- both with their play and their content. We’ve engaged nearly 500k players across Apex Legends, FIFA, and Madden NFL in our competitions. But we’re just getting started. From franchise expansion to professional leagues, our competitive gaming teams are building an entertainment ecosystem that aims to rival the real-world of sports.
The Role of Brand at Electronic Arts:
The Brand function at EA acts as the connector of the organization, guiding the consumer journey from end-to-end. They lead the development of the multiyear vision and strategies for our brands and set the pace for our cross-functional teams. They uniquely see across years, platforms, franchises, and business models to understand how each decision impacts the next. They are business leaders who can quickly reconcile a broad swath of inputs and translate them into actionable business decisions. They are the voice of the player in the product development process, they drive our marketing strategy and execution, and they set the internal narrative for how the business is performing and where it’s going.
As the Sr. Director of Brand for our Competitive Gaming Entertainment division, you would report to the SVP of Strategic Growth Brand, helping lead the vision, strategy, and marketing of all current and future brands that engage in competitive gaming (currently FIFA, Apex Legends, and Madden NFL).
What you will do as the Sr. Director, Competitive Gaming Brand at Electronic Arts:
- Join the Competitive Gaming leadership team, including the SVP of Competitive Gaming, SVP of Strategic Growth Brand, the franchise Commissioners, and heads of each cross-functional team within Competitive Gaming Entertainment (CGE).
- Hire a team of diverse and high-performing Brand directors for each brand, including FIFA, Madden NFL, and Apex Legends.
- Drive the multi-year marketing resource plan in support of all competitive gaming.
- Partner directly with each brand Commissioner on key business decisions, from multi-year vision, strategy and goal setting, annual programming, cross-functional support plans, and business performance management.
- Partner with the commissioner teams to drive multi-year and annual alignment between the CGE, game studios, and franchise Brand teams around competitive gaming investments, driving towards an aligned vision & shared goals.
- Lead the cross-functional competitive gaming marketing teams (both direct and indirect), from strategy setting to execution to meet viewership and engagement KPIs across each franchise.
- Integrate competitive gaming into EA’s operating rhythm, including multi-year and annual planning cycles, partnering closely with franchise Brand teams and CGE operations team.
- Lead the marketing budget planning process for CGE.
- Direct and prioritize consumer insights and research roadmap.
- Lead evaluation and business case development for competitive gaming expansion into new brands across EA portfolio, partnering closely with CGE LT and franchise Brand teams.
- Key point of contact with brand licensors as required (e.g. NFL, FIFA, etc).
- Drive and integrate brand architecture and operating model across CGE and marketing organizations.
- Partner with CGE commercial team to unlock new revenue streams.
What would help you succeed in the role:
- 10+ years of business strategy, brand development, campaign strategy, and/or marketing experience.
- Experience working with digital entertainment products (gaming, streaming, UGC, etc)
- Direct experience working within the competitive gaming industry.
- Experience growing audiences.
- Ability to galvanize and influence a variety of stakeholders across a matrixed organization.
- Demonstrated leadership qualities that have fostered diversity & inclusion.
- Business case development, P&L, budget planning and management experience.
- Proven ability to inspire and lead cross-functional teams around aligned vision and shared goals.
- Enterprise wide mindsight with ability to reconcile a diverse set of business metrics, insights, and strategies to understand how each decision impacts a variety of other teams and businesses throughout the organization, as well as external partners.
- Player/customer first mentality.
- Proven track record of innovation and driving change.
Bachelor’s Degree or higherApply for this job