As a Senior Software Engineer at WHOOP, you will help us scale out and improve our performance using the latest tools and services on AWS infrastructure. We handle massive amounts of data continuously streaming up to the cloud from everyday people improving their health and wellness to the world's greatest sports teams and athletes mandating a fault-tolerant and highly available system.
On the Sports Science Infrastructure team, you'll own the lifecycle of the physiological data at the core of WHOOP's business. Our team builds systems that put cutting-edge physiological research to work in a massive-scale production environment. You'll collaborate with physiology experts, data scientists, and engineers, providing technical and domain expertise around these systems. You'll identify opportunities to scale, improve, or reimagine complex architecture to keep pace with WHOOP's explosive member growth. Your solutions will serve as the foundation for the physiological product features that help our members unlock human performance.
- Communicate effectively with immediate and external team members
- Collaborate with product, software, and data science teams.
- Contribute to backend development using the following technologies: Java, Kafka, Postgres, Cassandra, AWS.
- Lead tactical planning and execution for expanding backend capacity
- Be receptive to feedback from others
- Build testable, predictable, comprehensible systems, following and introducing best practices around testing, monitoring, alerting, and debugging
- Significant years of distributed server-side development and associated patterns.
- Experience with one or more general purpose programming languages including but not limited to: Java, Python, or Go
- Experience in ingesting data, RESTful APIs
- Experience designing tables and writing efficient queries in PostgreSQL and NoSQL
- Direct experience working with AWS Services (EC2, RDS, SQS, S3, etc)
- Willingness to be both a team player and an owner
- A positive, people-oriented, and energetic attitude
Apply for this job
- Enthusiasm for innovative ways to test and measure system (and human) performance.
- Eagerness to tackle and break down complexity in both product and technical domains
- Experience managing large-scale changes on business critical systems