Who we are
Flex is a company on a mission to make at-home bodyweight exercise as exciting as boutique studio classes. We combine wearables with live video workouts to deliver a fun, immersive, gamified fitness experience that quickly becomes addictive. Find out more about us on our website (www.sweatflex.com).
Originally from London, we joined Techstars Boulder for their 3-month mentorship-driven accelerator programme. We're looking for a product engineer to join us on this journey - potentially leading to a permanent position.
What you will be working on
As game-changing learnings and decisions are made on a regular basis, this role will see you adapt to whatever we discover are the critical path of activities necessary to take us to the next milestone. Your actions will shape the future of the company.
You will work on our suite of client applications:
• Mobile app – Our iOS & Android mobile apps
• Internet TV apps – Our Apple TV, Android TV, Amazon Fire Stick, Roku and embedded TV apps
On a day-to-day basis, you will:
• Work closely with the CTO to architect and implement product features
• Invest in tests, documentation, and processes alongside the team to further our engineering culture
• Shape product strategy and vision together with the founding team
What you should bring
We value intellectual humility, an eagerness to learn, and the ability to move quickly while being pragmatic about your decisions. But above all else, we're looking for unique personalities with varied backgrounds that add something new to our team.
Skills you need to have (or learn quickly):
• Experience building React Native apps or React apps in general
• Familiarity with Jest or other testing tools
• Understanding of GraphQL and Apollo/Relay libraries
• Understanding of React component lifecycle and state management
• Previous iOS or Android development experience is a plus
• Open source contributions are especially appreciated
This role is for you if you:
• Are excited at the prospect of constantly adapting to work on whatever moves the dial for the company
• Are a keen problem solver. You enjoy thinking through complex engineering challenges and care about solving the right problem
• Thrive in a high pace, fast learning environment
• Care about good software architecture, component abstractions, and best code practices
• Are fantastic at communicating your thinking and design decisions
• Have a number of years' experience in an individual contributor role on a software engineering team
• Have an appetite for healthy living
• Have a good sense of humour!
(You don’t need to have a degree to apply. What matters is you and the work you do.)
What you can expect
We try to encourage an informal, passionate and respectful culture where you are given the trust and autonomy to do what you think is right for the company. We’re also deeply committed to continuous improvement as a team and company, so everyone’s input and contribution to making the team better is hugely valued. But most of all, we are creating an energetic and entrepreneurial working environment - no two days will ever feel the same.
Beyond that, we offer:
• Access to the network and events of one of the most established, successful, forward-thinking technology accelerators in the world – Techstars
• Entirely flexible working hours (and even days)
• Fitness perks
• A startup book club
(We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgment when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are – your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a (not so) secret aversion to burpees. All you need is a passion for helping the world get a little more active and a desire to be part of a brand new up-and-coming technology startup.)
What to expect from the hiring process
Step 1: Once you apply, we may reach out to you for an initial call.
Step 2: If your application progresses, you will be set up for an on-site interview (or a remote pair programming session).
Step 3: You may be required to complete a coding challenge.