We are seeking an individual who is passionate about both people and engineering to lead our engineering function in China. You will be responsible for managing a team of engineers focused on our China-specific product; WeChat Mini Program.
As Head of Engineering reporting into the VP, Engineering in the United States, you will be setting technical direction for a nascent codebase, recruiting and retaining a great team, and supporting the engineers in their day-to-day: guiding their technical decisions, supporting their growth, and reviewing their code. You will also be collaborating with product owners to create a strong product and technical vision for your team, make sure engineering work is always aligned with our business goals, and help to manage and shape our KPIs. You will help design APIs and architecture that your colleagues will be delighted to use. You will be involved in the planning of features and product launches, from the initial idea to widespread adoption.
The ClassPass China tech stack is built on top of Kotlin in the backend, with a WeChat mini-p in Typescript. We’re hosted in AWS and use Postgres and Elasticsearch for data stores.
- Help define the technical strategy for your team that is aligned with the broader strategy at ClassPass
- Work closely with your Product Manager to find the right problems to solve and the right way to solve them.
- Collaborate closely with Product, Design, and QA to iterate on the design, implementation and deployment of our product
- Guide our longer-term technical vision to help us build a scalable and maintainable platform
- Be technically engaged in the design and implementation of projects with your team
- Work closely with the entire engineering team, the wider APAC team and your stakeholders to deliver appropriate technical solutions on time
- Grow and manage the performance of the people on your team by providing them with thoughtful feedback and technical mentorship
- Seek different perspectives, and solicit honest feedback
- Take delight in delighting our users
- Care about our studio and wellness partners and want to help them grow their business
Skills & Experience
Apply for this job
- 2+ years’ of engineering management experience and 5+ years of professional programming experience
- Comfortable working autonomously, building strategy and the roadmap to execute on that strategy
- Leading a team through designing systems where there is considerable technical risk in the success of this product
- Comfortable leading an engineering team that will work across a wide range of technologies
- Experience with architectural patterns of large, high-scale applications
- You enjoy developing people and teams through coaching, mentoring and feedback
- You have successfully attracted, onboarded and retained diverse top engineering talent
- You value simplicity and strive to eliminate unnecessary complexity
- You know how to balance the development of new features and paying down technical debt
- Fluent in English & Mandarin; both spoken and written
- Start up experience is a plus
- Right to work in China