*In order to be considered for this role, after clicking "apply now" above and being redirected, you must fully complete the application process on the follow-up screen. *
Austin FC joined Major League Soccer (MLS) as the league’s 27th member club in January 2019. In June 2021, Austin FC began play in the new, 100% privately financed, $260 million, state-of-the-art Q2 Stadium.
Austin FC is actively seeking a highly analytical and innovative Data & Analytics Manager who will be responsible for developing a centralized data warehouse and robust data collection process in order to support all three core stakeholder groups within soccer operations: High Performance, Recruitment and Coaching Staff. This position will need to understand the collaborative nature of a high performance department and will manage and maintain all incoming data, and the technologies utilized to collect this data. The Data & Analytics Manager will help maintain and continue to develop automated reporting and data visualization process for all stakeholders. This position will work closely with the High Performance Director to make Austin FC into one of the most technologically advanced organizations in MLS.
This unique role to help support a major league property is a once-in-a-lifetime and career-defining opportunity. The position is based in Austin, TX. Austin has continuously been selected by U.S. News and World Report as a top city to live in the last six years, while Forbes placed it at the top of its “Cities of the Future” list.
Are You Someone That:
- Leverages data science and predictive analytics to identify opportunities for future growth?
- Has experience developing data solutions to support high performance teams looking for insight around performance outcomes and key performance indicators?
- Enjoys being challenged and has a desire to develop innovative, positive outcomes?
- Uses qualitative and quantitative data to inform solutions?
- Is detail-oriented, analytical, and attentive?
- Enjoys working as a positive team player to meet goals?
- Is agile and able to respond effectively to the changing needs of a fast-paced growing organization?
- Manage all data and underlying processes that is collected daily into a centralized data warehouse; and
- Maintain and further develop in-house web applications to communicate data to stakeholders through visualizations and easy-to-use interfaces; and
- Collaborate with the Sports Scientist to manage all tracking data and technology. These technologies may include Second Spectrum optical tracking, and GPS/LPS tracking; and
- Responsible for all data visualizations created daily, and shared with the high performance, medical, and technical staff; and
- Lead discussions with the High Performance Director and Sporting Director regarding future technologies that should be acquired by the organization; and
- Determine appropriate metrics to represent soccer tactics and game models as set forth by coaching staff and recruitment staff; and
- Partner with High Performance Staff to maintain and develop reports and analysis related to athlete readiness, physical testing, and return-to-play protocols; and
- Partner with Coaching Staff to maintain and develop reports and analysis related to opposition analysis and scouting; and
- Partner with Recruitment Staff to manage the flow of data and reports related to scouting and recruitment processes; and
- Drive innovation and research initiatives within the club and represent the organization at sports science and research conferences.
- Working full-stack software development experience with exposure to some of the following:
- Cloud computing services: AWS, or similar
- Designing and maintaining a cloud data warehouse: Snowflake, or similar
- Interacting with REST API’s and other storage methods (s3, SFTP) for the purpose of ingesting data into a centralized data warehouse
- Orchestrating data workflows with tools: Prefect.io, or similar
- Back-end web development frameworks: Flask, or similar
- Front-end web development technologies: HTML, CSS, JS
- Data visualization libraries: plotly, matplotlib, or similar
- Machine learning technologies: sklearn, or similar
- Experience in professional or collegiate sports, preferably with experience in MLS or other elite level sporting organizations
- Proven record of working with soccer and/or sports data, especially spatiotemporal data extracted from player tracking technologies
- A passion for and track record of strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate data in a succinct manner
- Experience collaborating with other departments and a demonstrated ability to identify and resourcefully meet their diverse needs
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications, knowledge of current technologies and commitment to remain up to date with industry best practices
- High ability to exercise sound judgement and discretion
- English and/or Spanish language proficiency is essential and Spanish/English bilingual skills are a plus. Additional languages – even better
Apply for this jobSee more jobs at Austin FC
- It is the policy of Austin FC not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, physical or mental disability, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
- All selected candidates are subject to passing a background check prior to employment.
- Hours are variable and can easily include early mornings, evenings, weekends and some holidays in addition to the traditional Monday through Friday hours.